Just the 3 Of Us

Get a glimpse into our world as we go from 2 to 3 family members!

My how you're growing!

It's been quite the 6 months since I last posted here.  A few highlights:

In November, Sabrina was promoted to the "Private Kindergarten" class in her school.  She was getting a bit bored in "Junior Kindergarten" and had started acting out.  So the administrators figured we could give it a try in another class.
One week ago today, I registered Sabrina for Kindergarten at our local elementary school.  Part of the process involved a readiness assessment on Sabrina by one of the kindergarten teachers.  One of them came by as I was filling out the registration forms and took Sabrina to the back of the room.  From where I was, I could see her.  I wasn't too sure what they would do, but as I sat there hoping she would answer any questions and not get too shy or act out (yikes!), the reality of the moment struck me:  in less than 5 months, my little Sabrina was going to start Kindergarten!!  Oh.  My.  God.  Soon enough, the teacher brought Sabrina back to me.  What she told me Sabrina could do:
  • Identify all colors and shapes
  • Read 9 out of 30 words that were written on a paper (they seemed to be 2- or 3-letter words)
  • Count to 100 by 10s
  • Identify the sounds made by CH and SH
She went on to say that she was "blown away" by some of what Sabrina knew!!! Wow :)  She said she is definitely ready for Kindergarten and she said that she would be an early reader for sure.  It was a proud mama moment for sure.  I have made it a point to have bedtime stories with Sabrina every night, with very few exceptions.  In the last 2 weeks or so, when I ask her to read with me and point to the 2-, 3- or even 4-letter words, she has been willing to give it a shot and after sounding the letters out, she usually gets it right, much to my delight.  She is gaining some confidence, which is great.
I've been trying to instill the notion that being smart is good, but what's even more important is working hard and to keep trying.
Sabrina undergoing her "readiness assessment"


Hanging out outside her new school before registration

This past weekend we visited my dad and step-mom's house about 1.5 hours from here.  While the grown-ups were having a conversation, on her own volition, Sabrina announced at breakfast that the bottle of maple syrup on the table said "organic" on it.  We were all shocked!  She was right. 

A few random things I want to capture for posterity:
  • Every Friday Gene, Sabrina and I go out to dinner to celebrate the end of the work week.  For as long as we've known each other, Gene and I have done this, and we've taken turns on who gets to select the restaurant.  About 6 months ago, Sabrina was also thrown into the mix and know the 3 of us each get a turn to pick the spot.  It's become a trend for Sabrina to opt for a local Japanese restaurant, as she says "where they cook in front of you" :)
  •  We are planning a vacation to Las Vegas, then a drive to San Diego, then to Los Angeles for a Disneyland visit.  I told Sabrina we would be driving through the desert.  She looked concerned so I asked her why, and she said she was afraid of cactus! LOL.  I had to explain that they are just prickly trees that cannot move.
  •  Some of Sabrina's current favorite songs:
    • Shake your love - Debbie Gibson
    • Horse with no Name - America
    • Karma Chameleon - Culture Club (especially loves the video when the man falls off the plank)
    • Call me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen (This is the first song she knew and I didn't.  We heard it in a store somewhere and she started singing along.  Apparently it's being played at her school, too, because she knew almost all the words)
  •  Favorite color:  "Rainbow colors"
  •  Favorite TV shows:  Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First are "in" (both on Disney channel).  She will also watch Sesame Street quite happily when I turn it on, but doesn't request it.
  • These shows are now "out":  Dora the Explorer, Olivia

0 comments:

9 years old

9 years old

About this blog

I'm a proud wife and mother to my daughter Sabrina. This blog is not only a way to share updates with family and friends but also serves as an electronic "baby book" where I can log Sabrina's latest accomplishments. Thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave me a comment.

7 years old

7 years old

5 years old

5 years old

Almost 4

Almost 4

3 years,5 months

3 years,5 months

3 Years, 2 Months

3 Years, 2 Months

25 months

25 months

22 months

22 months

20 months

20 months

16 months

16 months

12 months

12 months

10 months old

10 months old

8 months old

8 months old

First Christmas

First Christmas

15 weeks old

15 weeks old

14 weeks old

14 weeks old

13 weeks old

13 weeks old

10 weeks old

10 weeks old

Bath time!

Bath time!

8 weeks old

8 weeks old

6 weeks old

6 weeks old

The family

The family

8-days old

8-days old

3-days old

3-days old

At birth

At birth

Ultrasound at 12 weeks

Ultrasound at 12 weeks

Sabrina's Milestones

  • 9-4-12 (4 years, 1 month): 38 lbs, 41.25 tall
  • 1-17-11 (2.5 years): 30 lbs, 36 inches long
  • 7-23-10 (2 years): 27 lbs, 5 oz, 35 inches long
  • 1-29-10 (18 months): 26 lbs, 4 oz, 33 inches long
  • 10-23-09 (15 months): 25 lbs even, 32.25 inches long
  • 7-24-09 (12 months): 23 lbs, 2 oz, 30 inches long
  • 4-24-09 (9 months): 21 lbs even, 29.25 inches long
  • 2-20-09 (7 months): 18 lbs, 8 oz
  • 2-5-09 (6.5 months): 18 lbs even
  • 1-23-09 (6 months): 17 lbs, 1 oz, 26.75 inches long
  • 1-6-09: (5.5 months): 17 lbs even
  • 12-23-08 (5 months): 16 lbs, 5 oz, 26.5 inches long
  • 11-21-08 (4 months): 15 lbs even, 26 inches long
  • 10-27-08 (13 weeks): 14 lbs even, 25 inches long
  • 10-16-08 (12 weeks): 13 lbs, 7 oz, 25 inches long
  • 10-1-08 (10 weeks): 12 lbs, 12 oz, 24 inches long
  • 9-23-08 (9 weeks): 12 lbs, 5 oz
  • 9-3-08 (6 weeks): 11 lbs, 3 oz
  • 8-27-08 (5 weeks): 10 lbs, 12 oz
  • 8-15-08 (3 weeks): 10 lbs, 6.5 oz
  • 8-6-08 (2 weeks): 9 lbs, 12 oz
  • 7-27-08 (4 days): 8 lbs, 11.6 oz
  • 7-23-08 (o days): 9 lbs,8.9 oz, 22.5 inches long