Sabrina had the pleasure of going to 2 doctors visits this week. First came the GI Specialist on Monday to get an assessment of her GERD/acid reflux. My main questions were how to know if she's doing better and if we're ready to start reducing the dosage of Prevacid and if/when she's ready for solid foods. The answer to both of those questions is yes! BUT the doctor cautioned not to do both at the same time. Instead he suggested we either start the solids first, wait 1-2 weeks then reduce the Prevacid or vice-versa, but not at the same time. This way if there's a reaction we can more easily distinguish the root cause. Makes sense to me! He also suggested we feed her organic (which was my plan all along) and start with either Earth's Best (I think) or BeechNut brand rice cereal. He said that the Gerber brand has added soy and again if there's a reaction we won't know if it's the soy or the cereal in general. I had read that oatmeal offers more nutrition and is less constipating that rice cereal but he countered that rice cereal is less likely to cause allergic reactions. OK then, rice cereal it is. They weighed and measured her too. Her stats are... 16 pounds, 5 ounces and 26.5 inches long. :)
On Tuesday afternoon I took Sabrina for her 5-month "shots-only" visit. Since we're on the Dr. Sears alternate vaccine schedule, which limits shots to 2 at one time, the shots are spread out and 2 of the doctors at the practice have OK'd it. I had to answer a lot of questions from the nursing staff about why we're doing the PC and HiB shots and she's hasn't even had her polio shot yet, blah blah blah. I kept telling them that 2 of the doctors there has OK'd this alternate vaccination schedule; however, neither of them were in that day. UGH. Eventually they got the shots drawn up and while I held her in my arms, the nurse gave her one shot in each thigh. This time the crying only lasted about 90 seconds (last time I think it was closer to 4-5 minutes).
GI Update and 5 Month Shots
Posted by
Joanna
at
Thursday, December 25, 2008
0 comments:
Post a Comment