I enrolled Sabrina in some swimming classes at a nearby aquatic center. Last year we did the same class until her ear tube surgery took place, at which point I dis-enrolled her.
These classes take place on Sunday mornings at 10:30 for 30 minutes. So far we've gone to 3 of them and each time she gets more comfortable in the water. I should mention that these aren't really instruction classes per se; more like play time in the water to get 6 month - 3 year olds comfortable in the water. We sing songs like "Pop goes the weasel" and modifications of other songs ("This is the way we kick our feet, kick our feet, kick our feet, in the swimming pool") while holding the kids in various positions. Yesterday I saw Sabrina actually signing along to a couple of the songs while performing some actions, so that was nice to see. She especially loves the part when they practice getting out of the pool by pulling themselves up onto the edge, then jumping in while the parent awaits them in the pool, holding their hands as they jump. I don't let her heads go under the water, though. Not sure she's ready for that just yet!
The water is a little chilly for her, even though it's an indoor pool. So towards the end of class, I see her little lip shivering.
It's a fun activity that she and I do together.
Swimming classes
Posted by
Joanna
at
Monday, August 2, 2010
0 comments:
Post a Comment