I didn't think I'd face these types of decisions until much later, but I find myself at a crossroad in terms of Sabrina's day-to-day care. A brand-new Montessori school is being built in our area and I found myself wondering if it might be a good thing for us to enroll Sabrina. I've been struggling over this decision for a few reasons:
- I know she loves her teachers at her current day-care.
- Because I never stayed in one school for more than 3 years until I got to junior high, I'm very sensitive to the need for having roots in one place and I want that for Sabrina because I believe it adds that element of comfort, structure, stability, etc. Yes, I know this one is all about me :)
- The Montessori school opens at 6am, while daycare opens at 5:30am (which is exactly when I drop her off so I can make it to work before the major traffic). That little half-hour makes a huge difference, even with HOV access. The domino effect means leaving the office later in the day, which means a longer afternoon commute also. The bottom line here is I want to make sure I'm not spending time in the car when I could be spending it with my family.
- Because it's not even built yet, I can't go in there and get a feel for the environment, meet the teachers, etc. These are the data points I took into consideration when I chose Sabrina's current day care.
- They do not provide meals (only snacks) so we'd have to pack her lunch. This obviously is not a huge deal, but I must admit it is convenient not to have to think about that. :)
- I do believe in the philosophies/methods of Montessori. On Tuesday I attended an information session led by the school's owners and newly-hired director. Everything they shared about the learning environment, how each child can learn at their own pace, how they encourage and foster natural curiosity, and so on, resonated with me.
- I know children are very flexible and will adapt.
- I think Sabrina will flourish in that environment (after the initial adjustment).
- If we pack Sabrina's lunch, we know exactly what she is consuming and we have control over that.
The Montessori school doesn't open until Fall, but they are filling up quickly. The tuition is only $100 more per month than we currently pay, so it's a non-factor. As I typed up these pros and cons and now seeing them on the screen, I'm realizing that the pluses outweigh the minuses.
0 comments:
Post a Comment