What an interesting day today was. First of all, I knew that a lot of my morning ritual getting Sabrina ready would depend on when she woke up for her middle of the night feeding. As it turned out, she was hungry at 3:00 am. So I fed her, kept her upright in my arms for the 30 minute period for her reflux, then laid her back in her crib. That left me with 30 precious minutes to snooze before the alarm rang at 4:00 am.
Since she had eaten recently I felt fairly certain that I could sneak into the shower, dress, and put on my make-up without her awakening. And that's what happened. So at that point it's 4:45 or so and I'm good to go. I go downstairs, load up her medicine, prepare a bottle, wake up Sabrina, change her diaper, dress her and bring her downstairs. I gave her her medicine just after 5:00 am. We need to wait 30 minutes for it to work before feeding her the rest of the bottle. So I decide to pack up the bottle along with the other 4 destined for daycare. We were out the door at 5:15 and the daycare center opens at 5:30. I was ahead of schedule because I got there at 5:20 and the two employees had only just shown up and were turning on all the lights. Ooops. So Sabrina and I wait a few minutes in the car, sitting in the dark. I finally go in and greet the teacher and give the final instructions (keep her upright after each feeding, when she's due to eat, etc.). Sabrina was in a great mood - smiling like crazy. It was REALLY difficult for me to leave her. I walk back to my car and before turning it on, have a little "moment" and then remind myself that I need to get back a certain point on the highway before HOV kicks in. Nothing like a dose of reality like that to snap you out of a maternal moment, right?
My workday felt like a series of "Oh yeah, last time I (fill in the blank)
A definite highlight was having lunch with Gene, who works literally across the street from me. We met up at our usual corner and walked over to a salad place and had a nice lunch. This was something we did on a regular basis throughout my pregnancy. I realized half-way through that it was also our first meal without our little "Squeaky" with us.
So here's my Mastercard-style summary:
P.S. - the report from daycare was that Sabrina had a great day. She also apparently enjoyed 2 "tummy time" sessions (and according to the teacher, her new little friends hate tummy time).
Well, I survived my first day back at work
Posted by
Joanna
at
Monday, October 27, 2008
0 comments:
Post a Comment