Sunday was Sabrina's baptism and what a great time we had. Personally, it was really gratifying to have it all come together so nicely and see all of our dear friends trek all the way out to our neck of the woods to share in the joyous occasion with us.
We got to the church about half an hour early and we were able to scout out a good location close to the baptismal font. We knew that all baptisms were done weekly and as a result, you never know how many others will be getting baptised that day. Sunday's ceremony had 12 kids (!)going through the sacrament, ranging in age from 4 days old to what appeared to be 8 or 9-year old twins :) The ceremony was just beautiful and the church has what I think is an old-world feeling to it, even though they completed construction on it in February 2008.
We had a poll going for how people though Sabrina would react to the water being poured on her head (will she cry, coo, giggle, have a confused look her face, or sleep through the whole thing?). In the end, she slept right through it! The water was poured on her head, from the forehead and allowed to flow down the top of her head three times in succession and she never even opened her eyes. Gene and I were both surprised at that :) She was just angelic though the whole ceremony, despite the water, the anointing with oil on two separate occasions, etc.
Once the ceremony was complete, we chatted with our guests, handed out the directions to the reception and slowly made our way to the restaurant after changing Sabrina into her reception outfit -- an oh-so-cute red velvet dress with a lacy, tulle bottom with ribbons from her aunt Sandra.
I had a brainstorm sometime last week about having something similar to a sign-in book where guests could jot down their wishes for Sabrina. I'm so glad I thought of it because that book will be a great way for Sabrina to see how well-loved she has always been. People wrote such, deep, moving things in there, I was tearing up when I read through it. Thank you to all who contributed!
Sabrina was awake for the first part of the reception and got passed around to a few folks, which she has never minded. In fact, as long as someone is paying her some attention, it doesn't matter who, she is loving it and will easily flash her signature open-mouth smile to them. After about an hour, she was ready for her next bottle while the rest of us were eating so I fed her at the table and she let out a nice big burp (excuse us!) and then fell asleep :)
We got to the church about half an hour early and we were able to scout out a good location close to the baptismal font. We knew that all baptisms were done weekly and as a result, you never know how many others will be getting baptised that day. Sunday's ceremony had 12 kids (!)going through the sacrament, ranging in age from 4 days old to what appeared to be 8 or 9-year old twins :) The ceremony was just beautiful and the church has what I think is an old-world feeling to it, even though they completed construction on it in February 2008.
We had a poll going for how people though Sabrina would react to the water being poured on her head (will she cry, coo, giggle, have a confused look her face, or sleep through the whole thing?). In the end, she slept right through it! The water was poured on her head, from the forehead and allowed to flow down the top of her head three times in succession and she never even opened her eyes. Gene and I were both surprised at that :) She was just angelic though the whole ceremony, despite the water, the anointing with oil on two separate occasions, etc.
Once the ceremony was complete, we chatted with our guests, handed out the directions to the reception and slowly made our way to the restaurant after changing Sabrina into her reception outfit -- an oh-so-cute red velvet dress with a lacy, tulle bottom with ribbons from her aunt Sandra.
I had a brainstorm sometime last week about having something similar to a sign-in book where guests could jot down their wishes for Sabrina. I'm so glad I thought of it because that book will be a great way for Sabrina to see how well-loved she has always been. People wrote such, deep, moving things in there, I was tearing up when I read through it. Thank you to all who contributed!
Sabrina was awake for the first part of the reception and got passed around to a few folks, which she has never minded. In fact, as long as someone is paying her some attention, it doesn't matter who, she is loving it and will easily flash her signature open-mouth smile to them. After about an hour, she was ready for her next bottle while the rest of us were eating so I fed her at the table and she let out a nice big burp (excuse us!) and then fell asleep :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment