My brother Basil came over Friday afternoon, stayed the night and left after lunch on Saturday. He's not only Sabrina's uncle, but also her godfather. They got to spend some quality time together and Gene and I had the pleasure of catching up with him, being that he's such a world traveler these days...
Basil joined us on what is traditionally our "date night" (Fridays), and the 4 of us went to a local Japanese Steakhouse (the kind of place where the cooking takes place before you). We had taken Sabrina there before, when she was around 9 months old and she did fine, even when the flames were set on the grill. Welllll, this time was a different story. I guess the instinctive fear response has set in or something because this time, sitting in her high chair at the table, she got really scared and started crying. Gene and I were even preemptively saying to her "Look - the cool fire is going to come. It's neat!" That didn't seem to help. Poor thing. I guess she'll be one of those kids that Gene and I used to laugh at, jumped under the table whenver the chef came to that part of the meal. So when the 'onion volcano' portion came, I held up a napkin in front of her, essentially blocking her view.
Despite all that, the food was really good and even Sabrina enjoyed the chicken and fried rice.
"Uncle Baz" gave Sabrina her birthday present, which was a journal/diary. The cool part was that he had written in her first entry, from her perspective (in first person) about her trip to Europe. It was so well written and very humurous. While he wasn't even with us on the trip, he had done some research by talking to my mom about the things Sabrina did while she was there. It was a neat and very creative gift!
On Saturday morning, Uncle Baz, Sabrina and I went to our local pool. It had been almost 2 months Sabrina went swimming (just before her ear tube surgery marked the end of her swimming lessons) and I wasn't sure how comfortable she would be in the water. It took about 15-20 minutes before she was at ease enough to let Uncle Baz hold her in the water (before that she would cling to me). We lifted her in and out of the water, let her sit at the edge of the pool and simulated her jumping in while she held her. It appeared that she enjoyed that :) The pool also has a bunch of spewing fountains and sprinkler-type things so it was very kid-friendly. I can see her in a couple of years really enjoying those!
Basil joined us on what is traditionally our "date night" (Fridays), and the 4 of us went to a local Japanese Steakhouse (the kind of place where the cooking takes place before you). We had taken Sabrina there before, when she was around 9 months old and she did fine, even when the flames were set on the grill. Welllll, this time was a different story. I guess the instinctive fear response has set in or something because this time, sitting in her high chair at the table, she got really scared and started crying. Gene and I were even preemptively saying to her "Look - the cool fire is going to come. It's neat!" That didn't seem to help. Poor thing. I guess she'll be one of those kids that Gene and I used to laugh at, jumped under the table whenver the chef came to that part of the meal. So when the 'onion volcano' portion came, I held up a napkin in front of her, essentially blocking her view.
Despite all that, the food was really good and even Sabrina enjoyed the chicken and fried rice.
"Uncle Baz" gave Sabrina her birthday present, which was a journal/diary. The cool part was that he had written in her first entry, from her perspective (in first person) about her trip to Europe. It was so well written and very humurous. While he wasn't even with us on the trip, he had done some research by talking to my mom about the things Sabrina did while she was there. It was a neat and very creative gift!
On Saturday morning, Uncle Baz, Sabrina and I went to our local pool. It had been almost 2 months Sabrina went swimming (just before her ear tube surgery marked the end of her swimming lessons) and I wasn't sure how comfortable she would be in the water. It took about 15-20 minutes before she was at ease enough to let Uncle Baz hold her in the water (before that she would cling to me). We lifted her in and out of the water, let her sit at the edge of the pool and simulated her jumping in while she held her. It appeared that she enjoyed that :) The pool also has a bunch of spewing fountains and sprinkler-type things so it was very kid-friendly. I can see her in a couple of years really enjoying those!
0 comments:
Post a Comment