Whew, what a day we had yesterday...
I got up at 4:30 am to give Sabrina and I enough time to get ready to leave the house by 7:00. We were out the door at 7:15 because at 6:55 I decided I had waited long enough to mail out the request for certified copies of Sabrina's birth certificate and put together the request, payment and self-addressed stamped envelope. I know... focus, focus!! Maybe I've developed post-partum A.D.D. ANYWAY! We get to the doctor's office at 8:15, just in time to complete all the forms, etc. Sabrina was starting to fuss and to help placate her, I'm trying to keep her stroller in motion (back and forth) so she doesn't go into an all-out screaming session. It's kind of hard to do while completing forms :).
In a nutshell, here are the updates from the appointment itself with the GI doc...
- Prevacid was prescribed
- We'll need to overlap it with Zantac for 5 days (it takes that long for the Prevacid to fully take effect)
- Prevacid won't stop the spitting up/vomiting but it will, hopefully, make it less painful by reducing the acidity (read: less screaming).
- Whenever possible we need to keep her perfectly upright for 90 minutes after each feeding -- no bouncer chair/car seat because it's more like a 45 degree angle, not 90 degrees. The doc recommended the use of a baby carrier (the kind that you wear like a backpack in the front).
- Sabrina is up to 11 lbs, 1 oz.
- We will need to follow-up with the doc in 6 weeks.
Then we run over to the post office so I can mail the birth certificate request stuff (it was in a large envelope so this necessitated a trip inside).
From there, we hop into a health food store so can I pick up a few things, including a chocolate chip scone for some sustenance (I was starving because by this point it was 11:30 am).
The we head over to Babies R Us so I can buy one of those baby carriers, along with some other items. By the time we get there, Sabrina is letting me know she is hungry so we make use of the "mother's lounge" to change her diaper and feed her.
By now it's 1:00 and I have to be at the naval hospital by 3:30 for my 6-week post-partum check-up. So off we go. We stop at one of my favorite quick-serve Lebanese restaurants near the hospital so I can get a quick lunch. We get to the hospital at 3:15 and Sabrina's hungry so I feed her as I wait to be called for my appointment. Here's the thing... now I know she really needs to be upright since she just ate. How to accomplish this while getting a pelvic exam?? Well, I held her upright against my chest (her legs dangling down off the examining table). When it came time for the doc to do a breast exam, I simply moved her over to my other side :) Hey, you do what you have to do! Bottom line: the OB said I'm fully recovered from the pregnancy/delivery.
Following the appointment, I head over to the pharmacy area to get some refills and drop off the Prevacid prescription for Sabrina. There was a loooooong wait and by the time we had everything it was 6:00 pm. Having Sabrina with me means we can legally drive in the HOV lane, but HOV ends at 7:00. Somehow we make it all the way home (35 miles) by 7:00 pm.
Boy was I tired! Back in the day, running this many errands in one day wouldn't have been a to-do and I would have had the energy to even squeeze in a trip to the mall in there somewhere...
0 comments:
Post a Comment