Two nights ago Sabrina had her best night yet -- 2 separate 3 hour stretches of sleep (as opposed to strictly 2 hour stretches). Sleep... it's a good thing!
So I was poised for the same or better last night. Here's how it all went down. Sabrina was being fussy in the late afternoon so I put her in her "sling" and carried her around in it while I cooked, ate, etc. When she got hungry 3 1/2 hours later, she consumed 4 ounces -- a record! We let her digest for an hour and a half, then gave her the usual dose of Zantac. Thirty minutes later, we feed her again since she was displaying her 'I'm hungry' cues. She ate 3 ounces. Cool! Well, half an hour later, those 3 ounces were vomited. She's only done that once before.
I wait a while then feed her again (since her little tummy is now empty) and give her half a dose of Zantac thinking most of it got vomited out the last time. About 45 minutes later, while I'm holding her upright, she vomits again. A variation of the cycle continued all night with 2 additional vomiting episodes.
Hmmm -- isn't Zantac supposed to help? Why are things worse now than before??
Around 2 am i decided to start a log of the feedings, up-chucks, sleep times, etc. I decide I'm going to call the pediatrician's office as soon as they open and get an appointment for today.
Long story short, Sabrina has been referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist; the doctor suggested upping the dose of Zantac; as a next step (if needed), we have a prescription for Prevacid, a different reflux medication that is approved only for children aged 1 and up.
Tomorrow we'll know how soon we can see the GI doc.
Kicking it up a notch
Posted by
Joanna
at
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
0 comments:
Post a Comment